Monday, April 09, 2012

A diet program that nobody wants! - Part 1

Once we get to mid 20s, it has become normal to worry about diets.  We do not play any outdoor games and we tend to have the same eating habit we had during our teenage - obviously causing obesity.  So first we start workouts, then games, and then lack of friends and interests get us away from the gym.  So diet then becomes the only option.  Atleast all this has been true to me.  But just that I never bothered about going into any diet simply it was spoiling the fun I was having - travel does play a huge role in that.  Was always the fan of the GM diet, never went past the third day of the seven day diet program.  Always wondered whether I carried the right motivation for a diet program.

With a double fractured jaw, getting to know that from doctor was not a surprise to handle.  I thought it was one of the common things that could happen but when I learnt that the healing time could be 6 months to a year, that was a surprise.  With so much advances to medicine and technology, our wait times have still not reduced. My doctor explains that it is not about wait time, but it is about side effects and the years left for my jaw and teeth to withstand the current treatment.

Well, then my grand-father's medicinal expertise could still be handy, I wonder, in taking poison out of body.  Treating ligament tear and bone fractures was an art in itself in my grand parents years, just that my father and I have not carried over the tradition.  Its too late now to think of those as all those journal are either lost or sold.  Those that are sold are clearly neither traceable nor found.

It was a Friday evening around 3pm.  The maxillo-facial surgeon after explaining the treatment procedure also starts explaining the precautions I had to follow after the treatment.  The doctor gave me an option to get it done at that time or on the following Monday as I had to follow the precautions for a month.  Anyone who hears the procedure and precautions would have preferred probably not to even have the "Closed reduction" done.  Being the playful me, I agreed to get it done immediately.  I was happy I was not going to have any flesh-tearing, but little did I realize the kind of trouble the procedure and precautions could get me into.  


The "Closed reduction" procedure was to have dental braces running from end to end on all teeth - one for the upper teeth set and other for the bottom teeth set.  The upper and bottom teeth were made to bite and then there were wires tying the upper braces with the bottom braces.  There was no way I could open the mouth.


Once the mouth could not be open, the precautions were "Not to eat", simple!  The doctor went on to suggest the "diet" for me, gave me the diet pamphlet and brand-ambassador's the protein shakes.  The pamphlet I thought could be my life savior.  And I wondered of myself slowly becoming the brand-ambassador of the protein shakes at the end of the "program".

No comments: