Monday, April 09, 2012

A diet program that nobody wants! - Part 2

When you cannot eat, the only thing that is left to you is to drink.  My survival confidence when I agreed to the doctor immediately for the treatment was "water".  I never found the meaning of "elixir of life" so apt until the treatment, ever in my life.  I used to always think one would get bored of water and might prefer to die rather than to live.  But the survival tactics taught me better - to survive, boredom was nothing. In fact, monotonic behavior was something I hated all my life and still.  It was a time, I battled my adaptability traits to keep the monotonic behavior at bay.

Necessity is the mother of invention.  Truly, to beat the monotonous eating habits (sorry drinking habits), I had tried several things.  Water was always the fallback.  Only taking protein shakes had side effects especially constipation.  Thus, had to limit their intake, which happened to open my creativity box.  The first thing I did was to get a blender / mixer.  Anything I wanted to eat, I grind them, made it a liquid (even mustard cannot be taken), and then drank it.  So I started preparing proper South Indian food (sambar & rasam) and had them in liquid form.  Juices were another option, but after a while they got bland, but experimented a whole combination of those - coconut was fantastic, a natural coolant.  Shopping was interesting, never been so picky - especially after having learnt to adapt for all the travel I had done.  The best were rasam, congee and curd rice.  Congee (rice porridge) was fantastic as it completely removed my constipation effects.

Eating outside had lessened, and Pho noodles was the only place I could go.  Vietnamese restaurants were a plenty and thus was able to add such a variety.  In general soups were good, because it allowed some nutrition in the form of chicken broths.  One item that largely was missed was fish - never tried to beat them to pulp and have them - Subway tuna's were an option but I stuck to only soups and had everything else at home.

It was a good four weeks in all, reduced about 15-20 pounds and got myself to the right BMI.  This BMI balance, I had been trying for almost 4 years now but all carelessly.  When it was forced upon like this treatment, it was interesting and most welcome.  But it was not the diet program and the weight loss that I liked and learnt in the end.  It was food discipline that I had learnt.  The best diet program I would recommend everyone would be "food discipline".  Even though I knew this all my life, I was probably careless to attempt and understand the benefits of it.

So the day had come when finally my braces / wires were to be removed.  When I had gone for the visit, I had learnt from the doctor that this indeed had been a "diet control program" in Americas about 2 decades ago.  One of the reasons this program had to flop, was that people inadvertently reverted to over heating after the program which defeated the whole exercise and brought back their weight.  Well, all fails definitely when discipline fails!

1 comment:

reNUka said...

Congrats on achieving the right BMI! :-P Sorry about the procedure, though...!