Monday, April 09, 2012

Who is my doctor?

Getting to know my doctor and the treatment was no easy task.  First off, I felt no pain until my friend touched my cheek.  I hardly even realized I had my face swollen until that touch or poke.  Looking later at the mirror, I was looking like a 'kumbakarnan' or a 'hulk'.  The pain was indeed severe on poking and that is the reason we rushed to the hospital.  Wait, hold on, which hospital do we go?  Do I see a general physician or a dentist?  Since I felt my teeth were loose, I chose a dentist.  But which dentist, general, ortho, perio?  Being in US, getting to an emergency ward could be easy, but least does one know the cost expenses incurred of that.  But being in bed, one would be able to get the specialized doctor in a few minutes - that's the emergency ward.  In actuality, an emergency ward should not be misused for that, especially not for our ignorance.  

Anyways, I was not in any emergency as I was able to withstand the pain and the only discomfort I had was hunger.  So I looked up the possible dentist - who was closest to me (for obvious reasons) under by insurance coverage.  I located a few and we rushed in search of the closest.  Being a software professional I could guess that 'a few' here was always going to be helpful and thus I was able to find only the third closest - the first and second had either shut down, moved or simply have not updated their address to this insurance provider.

The dentist I visited was a practitioner of periodontics.  The dentist took an x-ray of the teeth and he could not find anything in the teeth.  But he found the broken jaw in the x-ray.  He then refers me to a maxillo-facial surgeon and also explains the jaw needs to be fixed so he can check and treat on the teeth. The dentist calls the surgeon office and passes on the x-ray to them, also briefing on my immediate visit there.  And thus I ended up at the surgeon office.

The surgeon examines me and tries to understand the x-ray.  The email from the dentist had not arrived - anyways that was not the first time I had beaten an email, so the surgeon had to take the x-rays again.  After taking the x-ray for about three times (as it was inconclusive the first two times), the doctor explains that the jaw is broken at two places.  The jaw portion exactly below the right bottom wisdom tooth and the other portion on the extreme left end.  It so happens, I hear, that that is the most common kind of fracture in the jaw.

The surgeon starts explaining the treatment procedure.  As the fracture was not so complicated, the doctor decided  "Closed reduction" procedure.  The other procedure "Open reduction" results in tearing the flesh and placing plates for the jaw to not move.  "Closed reduction" on the other hand, doesnt result in any tearing and is achieved with means of braces / wires.

No comments: